If you could see my backyard right now, you’d probably cringe. It’s a complete mess. We have two kids outdoor dining tables, a water table, two balance bikes, one tricycle, a bucket of pool toys, a bucket of non-pool toys, kids chairs all over the place, etc. It makes me cringe every time I look out there. I have set a goal (but no timeline) to clean that space up, though. Obviously I need to set a timeline because it still hasn’t been cleaned. I plan to reduce the amount of clutter by donating products we don’t use anymore. I also plan to replace multiple products with single products that serve multiple purposes.
I have always been a proponent of products that serve multiple purposes and grow with my children. From nursery components to toys to travel gear, I try to make a conscious effort to buy purposefully to avoid wasting space. Since my home isn’t ginormous, I need to save on space where I can.
I recently featured the smarTrike in my holiday gift guide segment on Good Day Sacramento as a great multi-purpose product for kids ages 10+ months to 3 years. This Trike easily goes from stroller mode to independent Trike mode with just a few simply adjustments. It’s one of the most brilliant ideas I’ve seen in my five years of parenting and is going to help tremendously with my “save the space” mission.
- Stage 1 – From 10 months: Reclining Seat sleep mode, allows your precious cargo to sleep comfortably and securely with our high backed seat and safety bar.
- Stage 2 – From 10 months: Stroller Mode, your child can safely use the foot rests and sit up comfortably in the padded seat.
- Stage 2 – From 18 months: Guided Trike, when your child can sit upright on their own, simply remove the safety bar, allowing your child the feel of independence and a more comfortable ride while still having the security of the multi point safety belt.
- Stage 4 – From 24 months: Training Trike, turn the Dazzle into a training trike, allowing your child to learn how to pedal by themselves, develop motor skills and gain confidence while you’re still in control.
- Stage 5 – from 30 months: Classic Trike, remove the parent handle, turning the Dazzle into an independent trike which your child pedals and steers on their own.
My youngest just turned two and has been wanting her own big girl bike for quite a while. She’s so tiny, though, and can’t really handle a 12″ bike with training wheels. She can’t quite reach the pedals on a regular bike which is why the smarTrike has been perfect for her.
Kendall is a very timid child when it comes to new products, but she jumped right on her smarTrike and said “my new bike, mom!” And although my daughter refuses to wear her “buckles,” as we call them, I do like that this Trike has the option to buckle your child in. I’m a huge fan of the reclining seat and the sun shade, too.
Q & A
Many of you have asked me questions on Facebook about the smarTrike after seeing the Good Day Sacramento segments, so I’m going to do my best to answer a few of them.
Q: Does the handle feel sturdy?
A: The handle does feel pretty sturdy. There is a little flex in it, but I’m not concerned about it breaking.
Q: Does that big bottom bag come off?
A: Yes. You can remove the entire parent handle and backpack unit. Underneath the backpack, there is a black storage cubby to hold extra drinks and snacks.
Q: Does the smarTrike Dazzle come in more colors? I don’t want purple for my little boy.
A: Yes! The Dazzle model also comes in red and grey.
This product has completely eliminated the need to take the stroller on our family walks. I’m all about getting kids out and active and this is a great product for that.
Learn more about the smarTrike Dazzle 5-in-1 Trike by visiting a Toys ‘R Us store or toysrus.com.