Let’s begin by prepping the crust!
This is such a versatile crust and bakes up so nicely. The flavor is so buttery and the texture is flakey, but stays together really well.
Ingredients for One Crust:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons of ice water
- 6 tablespoons of cold butter (I prefer salted butter)
Directions for the Crust:
- – Using a fork, mix together the salt and flour in a medium sized bowl.
- – Cut the butter into the flour and salt mixture and use your fork to blend the ingredients until little dough balls begin to form.
- – Once you’ve created a lumpy, dry dough, add your ice water one tablespoon at a time. If you choose to use your hand for the mixing process, work quickly so the dough doesn’t get warm. Store in refrigerator until ready to roll out.
- – When ready, roll our your dough using a well-floured cutting board and rolling pin. Add more flour to your rolling pin and cutting board as needed. Work quickly as the dough will get warm quickly and begin to stick.
- – Once your dough is rolled out flat enough and large enough to fill your pie plate, roll onto your rolling pin and unroll onto your pie plate.
- – Press the dough onto your pie plate to ensure a good fit and trip excess edges if needed.
Now let’s prep the ingredients for the turkey pot pie!
- 2 9″ pie crusts (see above for instructions)
- 1 10oz. can of green beans
- 5 oz. or about half of a can of cooked carrots (canned or fresh) *see my note for fresh carrots below
- 5 oz. or about half of a can of cooked peas (frozen or canned) *see my note for frozen peas below
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp milk
- 2 cups cooked turkey (I used leftover smoked turkey)
- 1/2 cup + 6 tbsp of chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp celery seed (you can use celery salt but omit the salt from above)
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Directions for the Pot Pie Filling:
- – Preheat over to 425 degrees.
- – Melt the butter in a in a medium sized pot and add your onions. Saute them over medium heat until they’re golden brown (6-8 minutes)
- – Stir in your flour, pepper, salt, celery seed, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- – Slowly wisk in your chicken broth and milk stirring constantly until well blended. Continue stirring to thicken the mixture a bit while lightly simmering.
- – Remove your thickened broth mixture from the heat and add your drained vegetables and turkey.
- – Fill your pie crust with the pot pie filling and top your pie with another pie crust, pinching the sides together.
- – Cut three small slits in the top of your pie to vent
- – Bake uncovered for 30 minutes (checking in increments of 10 minutes to make sure it’s not browning too quickly). If you notice it’s starting to brown too quickly, cover your pie with a sheet of foil and continue to bake.
- – Allow your pie to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Contents will be extremely hot and runny if you cut into it too soon.