My child’s safety is my biggest concern, especially in the car. That’s why I make sure to research car seats before making any purchases to ensure that she will be properly protected. Of course, price is also a factor that I take into consideration when making a purchase for my family. Unfortunately, a more affordably priced product can sometimes mean that I have to make a compromise with quality. Recaro, a leader in the automotive, airline and race car industry for over 100 years offers car seats that go beyond the safety standards with their quality car seats without breaking the bank.
The Recaro Performance Sport forward facing harness-to-booster car seat is made to adapt to your child’s growth for extended use. Aside from the obvious convenience factor, the fact that you won’t have to purchase multiple car seats is pretty appealing, in my opinion. Recaro offers multiple colors of the Performance Sport car seat to appeal to a wider consumer base and their safety ratings and factors are something to brag about.
- Convenient forward-facing harness-to-booster Recaro® Performance Sport car seat adapts to your child’s growth for extended use
- Harness mode supports children 20 to 65 lb.; new upper harness weight limit fits an average 9.5 year old child
- Harness mode accommodates children 27″ to 49″ tall
- Booster mode supports children 30 to 120 lb.
- Booster mode accommodates children 37″ to 59″ tall
- Car seat weight: 25 lb.
- Dimensions: 14″ L x 18.5″ W x 30″ H
- Deepest side wings on the market with metal reinforced side walls for full body side impact protection
- Each belt guide is color coded for easier identification of proper belt path and positioning of LATCH strap and vehicle seat belt
- Recaro Side Impact Protection technology is designed to protect the 5 vulnerable areas of a child in the event of side impact crash (head, face, neck, torso and pelvis)
- Twist-resistant buckle and exclusive HERO harness system technology provides superior comfort and resists harness twisting to ensure proper chest-clip positioning
- Recaro Safety Stripe System features racing-inspired white stripe that is clearly visible on outside edge of 5-point harness designed to easily alert parents that a twist could occur, or has begun to prevent a potential safety hazard
- EPS energy-absorbing foam
- Cloud Comfort Memory foam seat padding
- QuickFlip 2-position recline mechanism
- 5-point quick adjust no re-thread harness system can easily be removed to use seat as a booster
- CoolMesh air ventilation
- Mesh Pocket Cup holders
- Luxurious, temperature balancing fabrics can be removed and hand washed
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Made in USA
Upon receiving this car seat I noticed how heavy it was compared to others I’ve owned in the past. It came wrapped in a bag and in a box and didn’t have any extra pieces falling off of it. This car seat appeared to be ready to install straight out of the box which I LOVE.
The installation process was easy-peasy. As I mentioned above, this car seat was ready to install straight out of the box. The car seat comes with the standard side latches that hook into my car’s metal car seat hooks. These were easy to install and easy to adjust. This car seat also has the back strap that hooks into the car’s car seat hook. This, too, was easy to adjust and tighten. In booster mode, this car seat is compatible with your car’s seat belt. There is an image on the side of the car seat that demonstrates exactly how it should look.
The performance sport car seat is nice and wide to comfortable fit children of almost any size. It has lots of memory foam padding to keep the child comfortable on long car rides and also has an adjustable head rest and a quick flip reclining mechanism. The temperature regulating fabrics are great in the warmer months as they allow for more air flow than other car seats. My daughter almost always falls asleep in her car seat and usually wakes up sweaty. However, thanks to the breathable fabric on this car seat, we haven’t run into this sweating problem. I also really like that it’s easy to place my daughter in the car seat. Some car seats have really high sides which means I would have to lift her up and into the seat. With the performance sport car seat, I can simply set her down as if I’m placing her on the actually seat of the car.
This car seat offers great side impact protection. I’ve actually read many reviews on this car seat from families who have been in a collision and they are so grateful for he protection his car seat offered their children. When this car seat is being used in the harness mode, I feel like my daughter is safe thanks to the heavy duty, yet comfortable, harness system. One thing that I noticed about the straps on this car seat is that they don’t easily twist like some of our other car seats do. This is a huge plus and a huge time saver.
We always bring a car seat with us when traveling out of the country. I would say that this car seat is not ideal for travel. It’s too large for an airplane and too bulky to carry around the airport and put in and out of taxis or shuttles. I prefer to keep this car seat in my car at all times.
Overall, I think this is a car seat that is worth purchasing, even at full price. Toys ‘R Us has it on sale right now for $187.49 with free shipping which is a great deal. I would definitely take advantage of this pricing.
Disclosure: I received a free car seat to facilitate my review. Any opinion expressed in this article is based on my experience with the product/brand and is not influenced by compensation.