It’s 2017 and toys have never been better. We all love a cute classic plush Teddy bear, but Seedling is now offering us the best of both worlds with their newest toy, Parker — the world’s first augmented reality teddy bear designed for ages three and up.
Augmented reality has been the topic of headlines since the launch of the newest Apple products, but until the launch of Parker in early October, we hadn’t seen a toy for younger kids that was compatible with the technology that most of us have at our fingertips. Parker is combining classic pretend play with newer technologies to promote digital literacy, boost problem solving skills, and inspire empathy. All of which are important in today’s world.
Plush Meets Augmented Reality
What do we love about a classic Teddy bear? Well, they’re soft, cuddly, safe, and perfect for pretend play. Parker contains no electronics, camera, or batteries, which means younger kids can safely play with him with little-to-no supervision. But here’s where Parker is different and more fun …
Once you download the free Parker App from the Apple or Android store, you are taken into an augmented reality world by simply holding your digital device to Parker’s tummy or even some of his accessories. Parker is equipped with recognizable patterns and touch points which work with the coordinating app to transform caregiving into an interactive digital experience.
Within the app, kids can unlock surprises and additional play features, including interactive games, photos, and augmented reality videos. The more you care for Parker, the more magical your world becomes.
Parker teaches kids to show care through play in both the real and digital worlds. Augmented reality effects show how Parker is feeling and presents problems to solve and games to play. Your child can play doctor and care giver by giving Parker a check-up, taking x-rays, checking his temperature, or administering medicine. Kids are then rewarded with fun games to play (like squashing stomach bugs).
Did you know?
Parker is a STEAM toy, offering children a multidimensional way to learn and play with this innovative smart bear.
- Science: Teaches basic biology through in-app doctor play.
- Technology: Develops Digital Literacy and explores the magic of Augmented Reality
- Engineering: Promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Encourages empathy
- Arts: Create drawings, connect the dots and even design your own bandage
- Math: Solve puzzles
Watch this quick video to get a better idea of how Parker works:
The Parker Collection
Parker, Your Augmented Reality Bear ($59.99):
- Includes Parker the Bear, Parker’s backpack, interactive toy thermometer, toy stethoscope, wooden spoon, wooden medicine, and felt X-ray bib.
Parker, Your Augmented Reality Bear, Exclusive Apple Edition ($59.95):
- An exclusive edition of Parker is available at Apple retail locations worldwide, which uses Apple’s newest AR Kit technology standard on the new iPad and iPhone and includes ten unique in app experiences.
- Includes Parker the Bear, Parker’s backpack, interactive toy thermometer, toy stethoscope, wooden spoon, wooden medicine, felt X-ray bib, and exclusive Apple edition felt X-ray bib.
Accessory Kit: Parker: The Bedtime Kit ($39.99)
- Includes Goodnight, Sleep Tight Storybook with AR capability; Parker’s robe and mouse slippers, and other bedtime routine accessories including matching sleep masks and wooden toothbrushes for Parker and child.
Core Play Kit: Parker, Your Augmented Reality Bear, Exclusive Neiman Marcus Add-On ($99.99)
- Includes Parker the Bear, Parker’s Backpack, Interactive Toy Thermometer, Toy Stethoscope, Wooden Spoon, Wooden Toy Medicine, and Felt x-Ray Bib + Exclusive Add-On Accessories: Parker’s Pajamas, Parker’s Candy Cane Sleep Mask, and Ginger Bread Hand Puppets
More From Seedling
Parker introduces young children to the world of augmented reality in a way they can comprehend. And by offering Parker’s collection at such an affordable price, kids can have fun adding to their AR experience.
Seedling is great at offering immersive play experiences in a way that just makes sense. They take the toys, crafts, and games that we know and love and combine them with new technologies – like the “Design Your Own Virtual Reality Maze” which we featured last year.
Visit www.seedling.com to learn more about toys like Parker and everything else that Seedling has to offer.
*In collaboration with Seedling. All opinions are my own.